Saturday, July 12, 2008

The finish line is in sight...or is it another starting line?

Unfortunately, I hadn't changed any as of my doctor appointment yesterday. I go back on Thursday of next week, and if I still haven't changed any by then she will induce Saturday night the 19th with hopes of having him/her the 20th. If I've made any progress on my own by Thursday's appointment, I will wait and go in on the 20th. I'm not at all crazy about the idea of being induced, but I do like feeling like there's a plan in place. My original intention of using as little pain meds as possible may go out the window with the induction! Either way, I think I'm ready.

All along I've been thinking of labor and delivery like a marathon. There are just so many running comparisons to be made. Even with the right training and preparation, it's going to hurt, but the pain is just temporary and will end eventually. I'm in the best shape I could possibly be in right now. I'm still teaching 5 aerobics classes a week and feel great doing it. My body is as ready as it's going to get. As far as the pain goes, most athletes/runners realize and appreciate the difference between "discomfort" and "pain." You've got to keep perspective on those two because it makes a big difference in how you handle the situation. (Don't be mistaken though, I'm not a big fan of either!) During a marathon Mark and I (and probably lots of people) tend to think "I'm never doing this again!," and "I think I'm going to die!" BUT, as soon as I cross the finish line it never fails that I'm ready to start training for another one! Race finish lines just have medals and food (which is great!), but this finish line has a baby! The baby we've been waiting for such a long time. Another similarity is that Mark will be there with me. Running is so much easier with him running beside me. Sometimes you talk and have fun, and sometimes you have to be quiet and focus inward, but the support is still there. He's helped me through some tough runs, and I'm counting on him to help me through this, too. He's seen me in pain, knows how to read my signals, and knows what I need to push through it (no pun intended...seriously!).

So, all that to say that the training schedule is almost over and the starting line is fast approaching. Ironically, the "finish line" for this one is really just another starting line! Hopefully, this rambling made sense on some level because I really don't want to go back, re-read it, and write anymore! Happy Saturday!

No comments: